Thursday, September 4, 2008

News publishing and social media

Exciting to see so many news publishers active on social media sites. The power of community building and the instant feedback it provides offers a new tool to product managers and editors. But, the publishers must put a face to name and respond to the feedback.

Citizen journalism is exciting and social media has made it fast and cheap to disseminate CJ news but, as I always say, can you trust CJ news -- especially a big breaking news?

Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Cerebrations said...

I've always wondered the very same question - Can we really rely on CJ articles? Well, I typically read only the human interest and some sport stuff from them ...the rest I still depend on the news channels. :)

Canary Trap said...

I think most of the citizen journalism content has been limited to highlighting civic issues. I see an immense possibility of using CJ to get valuable content from whistle-blowers who can post their content without disclosing their identity. CJ can also be effectively used along with Right to Information wherein activists can regularly share vital information through CJ.