Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Can 123 lead to 272 for the UPA government?

Will the government survive? Is the nuclear deal so worth it? What is the nuclear deal actually?

I have been asked these questions so many times in the past few days that I feel like keeping a boilerplate ready, hitting the play button the moment I am asked a question linked to the above subject of the Indo-U.S. nuclear deal and the trust vote.

For all such questions and often some related supplementaries like "Will Mayawati be the next Prime Minister?” -- I have always replied asking a question, how would I know? I am neither a rent-a-quote-politician, nor an analyst. So how do I qualify to answer your question?

The usual response to my reply -- "you are a journalist; it is your business to know all."

I confess that I am a journalist, but NO, I am not in the "business to know all."

Sorry to disappoint, but I am not an expert in reading tea leaves to be able to predict the fall or survival of any government and definitely not an expert on anything to do with the nuclear deal.

Yes, I am aware that the government needs to reach the figure of 272 votes to survive (if every lawmaker votes) and that the Hyde Act and the 123 agreement are key aspects of the nuclear deal.

But how would I know if the UPA or the opposition will manage to get to 272? And in the same way, how do I know the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth about the nuclear deal when the government has never explained it in detail?

The only 123 agreement that I understand fully is between me and myself seeking inner peace. I count 1… 2… 3… ever so slowly whenever I get angry. Works like magic.

And, after the first day’s debate in parliament on the vote of confidence, I am not too sure that our lawmakers know much either about the deal or even the outcome of the vote. But from the number game being played outside parliament, they do seem to know their 1-2-3s well.

So, I admit that I am a journalist who is still struggling to understand the nuclear deal. Some analysts say it is good for the country, the left parties certainly don't and I still say -- how the hell do I know?

As for the question "Will the government survive?" -- I cannot tell and time will not too for only our lawmakers can and will in parliament.

2 comments:

boogersdelhidiaries said...

The problem, chief, is that everyone including yours truly is convinced you know everything, just count how many times your name is being called out in a single day :-) . That reminds me, i have to check out the kitchen ware shop you told me about in Munirka hehehe.
david.

Madhu said...

Confessions of an honest journo...!!! If only others in our tribe were as honest, it could have brought in some sanity on TV, at least.